What an interesting 9 weeks. They seem to go way to fast but in saying that it did drag a little near the end as the kids really started too wind down and my stress levels increased.
The term started off with a really hiss and a roar. Attending inspirational PD days can do that. The ideas and concepts were all there but the execution was off just a bit as I have stated in previous blogs. The new way I want to teach. My new approach is having is student and inquiry centred has worked wonderfully with the year eights and has been heaps of fun implementing. I has helped slightly that I am redoing the Yr 8 course as it has given me a lot to scope to try new things and ways of teaching. My biggest problem is that this term I just have not been organised enough. This has presented it challenges that I have meet and overcome as the come up. I really need to sit down and plan out the entire topic in one go instead of bits at a time. Teaching the year 8 is so much fun. I am really enjoying it and the students are having heaps of fun as well. I am trying to make the learning as hands on as possible with lots of circus and other activities and very little book work. The book work we do do is sheet based to reinforce the ideas and skills learnt though the activities that we do.
The year 10 have been another kettle of fish completely. They are two very different class that each have there own issues and problems. one class I have only just noticed is nearly 75% boys whereas the other is more 50/50 gender split. As a whole it has been a very productive term. We are right on track for where we need to be in the topic sequence. The biggest issue is that I have gone back to my old style to teaching the year 10. I was trying to make the teaching in a style more similar to the year 8's but it just isn't working. the students pretty much expect me to give them the information which yes I am there to do that, but to me I kind of defeats the purpose of why I am there. the information I am giving them is is pretty common knowledge and they could find it them selves easy enough simply by goggling it. I am at the point now where I am handing them all the notes and I am trying to get them to do activates that are based around the information that they need to know, to make them take some of the responsibility because it has no bearing on my life if they pass or fail. I am keeping up many end of the bargain by giving them in the information and asking any questions they might have. It is up too them to do the supporting work and to ask the necessary questions or for help.
There were a few interesting incidents through out the term. I look back on them are I have learnt a great deal from them. Most of them were due to me letting the leash go a little to slack and on reining in the minor stepping out of lines. I probably gave them the slack and a bit more freedom as they have been so good up to now and it was a reward, it was probably me getting a little to comfortable with the students in both classes and not following through was much as I did in the first term, I got soft. The big major incident in week 8 I could not off pre-empted I don't think, I student choose to cross a line, a pretty obvious line in my opinion and he paid the price. The consequence were well deserved and hopefully a lesson was learnt....I doubt it but you can only try so hard with some people. Some kids are just douche bags and have no brain mouth filter.
Over all i am very pleased with how the term went. I have a number of things to continue to work on, the biggest one is the loudness of my voice, the problem is I cant hear myself when I am in front of the kids so it is hard for me too moderate myself. Other than that I need to be a lot more organised and have the rest of my topics planned out and have the activities and resources ready to go so i can stop my last minute planning.
No comments:
Post a Comment